• slide2
  • slide

Update: June 25

Dear Bowdoin Friends,

On Monday, June 23, during routine rig inspections and maintenance, we found a potential compromise in our main mast. Since that time we have suspended sailing and have been in contact with the Maine Maritime Academy regarding a plan of action. This morning we had a shipwright aboard and conducted a further, more in-depth inspection of the mast.

With the results of this inspection, and with continued safety leading our decision-making, we have decided that Bowdoin will not proceed further from Penobscot Bay. Instead, at the conclusion of our open house and reception hosted at Wotton’s Wharf in Boothbay Harbor scheduled for Thursday, June 26, we will be looking for a weather window to proceed back to Maine Maritime Academy. Upon our return to Castine, we will pull the mast for an inspection and complete any repairs needed so we can return to our sailing schedule as soon as possible.

Unfortunately, the timing of this development will result in the cancellation of several open houses and daysails that we have planned. To our friends in the Portland, Maine area, please accept my apologies that we will be unable to visit this coming weekend. With equal regret, I need to inform our friends in Provincetown Massachusetts that we will be unable to celebrate the 4th of July them this year but we look forward to renewed and continued relations with them in the near future. Thank you for all the hard work that all have put into the planning of these visits. We will come again soon. That is a promise.

The students aboard have taken this change of events with their chins up and have kept a positive attitude as we determined our course of action. We are all committed to the highest levels of safety possible. Many students have offered to stay after the course conclusion to help with the work involved in this type of repair. Their dedication to Bowdoin is inspiring.

Thank you for following our adventures and rest assured that we are still enjoying ourselves and the remainder of the time we have aboard during this course. We are training future mariners, and so, prudence is the lesson of the day.

All is well,

Captain Jergenson

Great Pictures!

Bowdoin made the jaunt down the East River and through Hell Gate in time to see the fog lifting from the Statue of Liberty.

Bowdoin dropped in on the Charles W. Morgan in New London during one of the historic whaling ship’s daysails.

Our Bottomley….

Update: June 23


Anchored off St. John’s Bay (east of East Boothbay), arrived around 0300. Will be painting and cleaning up in preparation for the Windjammer Days in Boothbay Harbor tomorrow. Students will have the opportunity to explore the island later today.

All is well.

Capt. Jergenson

Update: June 18


Position is 15 miles south of Isle au Haut on a north easterly course towards MDI. Currently under sunny skies, squalls all passed very early this morning. Plan is to continue toward Roque Island.

All is well.

Capt. Jergenson

Update: June 17


Bowdoin position: 42 28′ 12″ N 70 deg W Approximately 25nm NNE of Provincetown. Plans are to jog toward the coast and continue North towards Roque Bluffs, ME. Weather dependent arrival approx. Wed. afternoon. Good sailing breeze and making 5-6 knots during the day today.

Capt. Jergenson

Update: June 16


Presently motoring @ 5 knots, approx 25 mi from turning point off Cape Cod to head north for Gulf of Maine.Crew settling into watch routines for the offshore passage North.

All is well.

Capt. Jergenson