• slide2
  • slide

Update: August 25, 2014

30 miles out of MDI. Will stay out until sunset to do some more stars, then anchor out for the night. Arrival at Clifton Dock in Northeast Harbor Tuesday morning. ETA Castine Wednesday morning.

All is well.

Capt. J

P.S. A shot taken by a long time friend of Bowdoin, Rene Serrao, as she departed Halifax last week.


Update: August 24, 2014

Position: 43,8.9N , 65,21.67W
Speed: 5.5 knots, Course: 242 deg.
UTC Time: 24. August 2014 12:47

We are presently sailing under full sail towards our waypoint 12 mile south of Brazil Rock. When we are arrive at this turning point, approximately 6.21nm from us, we will harden up the sails and make for our “The Corner” waypoint. This point is still 30 miles off and we expect an after lunch arrival. This places us in a good position to take advantage of the flood tide as we start our crossing of the Gulf of Maine. Presently the wind is a pleasant NE pushing us along. Forecasts along the Maine coast are showing a return to SW breezes for our forecast. These south westerlies will be welcome for our last push to the Mount Desert area for customs. The sun is shining and the breeze is warm (for Nova Scotia) so the spirits are high. We still have some Celestial Navigation skills to refresh and assess so the work continues in earnest.

All is well,

Capt. J

Update: August 23, 2014

Position: 44,18.65N , 63,35.67W
Speed: 6 knots, Course: 242 deg.

We are underway again after a great port stop in Halifax. The students got a chance to visit historic places, tour the city, and hopefully catch up on their course work. We are presently on a starboard tack deep reaching towards Port Mouton, NS (the Nova Scotian equivalent to Florida). Depending on our speed for the next few hours we are planning on an overnight stay at anchor. Tomorrow we will see if it is a beach day, if not we will continue on our way home. The boat is running well and sailing nicely. More updates to come as we move closer to Maine waters.

All is well,

Capt J.

Update: August 20, 2014

Position: 43,44.48N , 64,24.57W
Speed: 7.4 knots, Course: 62 deg.
UTC Time: 20. August 2014 11:48

We are sailing!

Presently we are sailing on a port tack deep on a broad reach under sunny skies. We are making between 6 and 7 plus knots directly towards our Halifax approaches. This makes our ETA sometime late this evening or early AM tomorrow. Much will depend on the winds this afternoon and whether we decide to stay out for stars this evening. Our intention is to stay in Halifax until sometime Friday evening, weather permitting and begin our return to Maine waters. Not much else to report, we are enjoying our sail!

All is Well, Capt. J

Update: August 19, 2014

Position: 43,31.48N , 67,13.98W
Speed: 6 knots, Course: 123 deg.
UTC Time: 19. August 2014 12:01

Greetings from Canadian Waters!

Early this morning we passed the Hague Line and should be able to make our turn up the Nova Scotian coast late this evening. Yesterday was spent working through safety drills, fueling, and last minute preparations for our first offshore leg. The crew is doing great and have been working diligently on both class and vessel work assignments. Our goal is Halifax for this trip. At this point it looks as if the weather will allow this in our time frame. Time will tell. We are presently motorsailing in light NW winds @ 1100 rpms for our next waypoint, “The Corner”. This waypoint keeps us well clear of the confusion of wind and sea experienced often associated with Cape Sable. From there we turn and set course for Halifax. All is well aboard.

Capt J

Update: August 17, 2014

Position: 44,21.28N , 68,50.31W
Speed: 5 knots, Course: 229 deg.
Local Time: 17 August 2014 0950

We are underway from Nautilus Cove making for Rockland Harbor. We enjoyed our sail around the 63rd Retired Skippers race yesterday and had a good evening on the hook. This morning we did a good wash down, set sail, hauled back the anchor and sailed off the hook. Good team work for their first full day together sailing. We will be working through our safety drills for the rest of the morning as we work our way towards Rockland for the evening. Fuel is planned for the AM and then we will be looking for an opportunity to cross the Gulf of Maine when weather and training allow. The new mast is looking great and the rigging is settling in nicely. We will re-tune the mast this evening before we go offshore. All is well and spirits are good.

Capt. Jergenson


We are home and will begin preparations to pull the mast on Wednesday. Thanks to all for your concern regarding the condition of our mainmast. We had very favorable conditions for our return under power. We departed Boothbay at 0400 on June 27 and made it to Castine at 1500. Now to get this girl sailing again!

All is well.

Captain Jergenson